Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why me?

Why does the idea of blogging bother me so much? When I published the link to this site in my church newsletter, I was already nervous about having members read the material, much less thinking about the general public having access to it as well. My anxiousness is odd given that our church’s morning worship service is broadcast via radio every Sunday morning. When I preach, thousands of people may hear what I have said, and anyone with internet access can visit the church’s website to download audio or document files with that day's sermon.

I guess my problem is that there is something about blogging that has seemed self-important. After all, there are plenty of editorial writers, for example, who are more talented and thoughtful than I who express themselves in powerful and transforming ways, espousing opinions with which I wholeheartedly agree. The problem is that few of these persons write from a religious perspective, and fewer still write from a Christian perspective. As an unabashed liberal, I’m getting tired of hearing what “Christians” think, as though all Christians are of one mind about important issues of the day.

One of the reasons I signed up for this Public Theology class is that I knew having to create and post to a blog would stretch me. But what I hope it will also do is encourage other liberal Christians to make their voices heard. The internet, for weal and for woe, makes it possible for voices that have historically been underrepresented to be able to offer their views in the public square.

So, this blog is now officially open for business. I will try to post several times each week, and I hope that readers will engage with me as I begin to share.

1 comment:

Trans Dykes on Bikes for Christ said...

I'll offer the same question I have heard: "Why not you?"

True, many blogs are created for attention. Yet there is a place for a prophetic voice, and your voice may be the one needed in this time and place.

If you have been called to the pulpit, why not also to the soapbox in the public square?

And indeed, if you can preach to a somewhat captive audience (it takes guts to walk out in the middle of a sermon), why not speak to an audience who can leave at the click of a button if they tire of you?

So may the words of your mouth, and the meditations of all of our hearts and minds, grant us the wisdom God has to offer us as we journey into what God has created us to be.