Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reclamation projects

OK…I’m back. It has been a while since my last posting as life does have a way of overtaking my best intentions!

In our last online class discussion, there was a lot of questioning about words, particularly words that are so freighted with meaning that we begin to shy away from them. The first word that came to mind for me was “feminist” because it seems to have become “The Other F-Word.” Popular wisdom is that young women no longer call themselves feminists - even if they may subscribe to feminist ideals – because conservative pundits have tarred and feathered the word with negative stereotypes which I won’t even honor by repeating here.

But a second word followed closely after “feminist” and that word was “values.” Thankfully, a number of folks before me have tackled that word, and so members of the right-wing no longer hold control of that concept. I’m glad that so many progressives have decided to begin talking about other “values” that matter, like providing health-care to children whose families can’t afford insurance, for example!

Of course, my using the word “progressive” is a reflex against the “L-word” – liberal! When I read definitions of “liberal” I marvel at how well conservatives have butchered what should be such an honorable description: a liberal is “tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others” and favors “gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distribute wealth more evenly, and protect the personal freedom of the individual.” (from Encarta Dictionary) How did we manage to let that word be bludgeoned to death?

So as I prepare to close this entry, let me note that I am a proud feminist – and a liberal to boot. I’m also a lesbian, and a Baptist, two more words that grab folks’ attention. As I’ve joked to friends, though, it’s much easier for me to come out as a lesbian than as a Baptist in most circles! My Baptist forebears worked against the kind of fundamentalism that has become the trademark of groups like the Southern Baptist Convention, and so will I as I try to reclaim what should be a proud heritage of separation of church and state, sole competency, autonomy of the local congregation, and the priesthood of all believers. If you aren’t sure you believe that there are such Baptists left, visit www.allianceofbaptists.org and www.wabaptists.org for some pleasant surprises.

No comments: